Tuesday, October 7, 2014

vocabulary #5


Shenanigans-mischief; deceit, or prankish.

-My sisters are always doing shenanigan things to my parents and me.

Ricochet-the motion of an object or a projectile in a rebounding or a deflecting way, one or more times.

-The ball ricocheted and hit me right in the back.

Schism-division or disunion, especially into mutually opposed parties.

-Republicans and Democrats are a schism.

Eschew-to abstain or keep away from; shun, or avoid.

-Parents try to eschew alcohol from their kids at an early age.

Plethora-over abundance or excess.

-You could say tree’s aren’t really a plethora any more.

Ebullient-over-flowing with enthusiasm or excitement; high-spirited.

-I like to be ebullient every day.

Garrulous-excessively talkative in a roundabout manner.

-Everyone always has that friend that is garrulous.

Harangue-scolding or a long intense verbal attack.

-My mom likes to harangue me every time I do something wrong.

Interdependence-the state or condition of being mutual reliant on each other.

-Kurt and I are interdependent on each other,

Capricious-subject to, led by, or indicative by a sudden unpredictable change.

-People with erratic behavior can also be categorized as capricious.

Loquacious-talking or tending to talk much; talkative.

-When some people get nervous they become loquacious.

Ephemeral-lasting a very short time.

-The weekend seems to be ephemeral.

Inchoate-not yet fully developed; premature.

-One of my close friends was born inchoate, which made her want to specialize in that field of birth and babies.

Juxtapose-to place close together, side by side.

-To juxtapose something is also to compare two things.

Perspicacious-having keen mental perception and understanding.

-It takes a really intelligent person or actor to be perspicacious.

Codswallop-rubbish, non-sense.

-When a friend says something not smart, you can reply with codswallop and totally impress and freak them out at the same time.

Mungo-low grade wool, from felted rags or waste.

-I can imagine that mungo is not the most comfortable clothing to wear.

Sesquipedalian-given to using long words, containing many syllables.

-In high ranking spelling bees, I can imagine that the words are sesquipedalian.

Wonky-shaky, groggy, unsteady or unreliable.

-Every morning when I wake up, you could describe me as wonky.

Diphthong-an unsegmentable, gliding speech sound varying continuously in phonetic quality but held to be a single sound or phoneme and identified by its apparent beginning and ending sound.

-“The production of a diphthong acoustically is a glide between two sounds.” –Dictionary.com

No comments:

Post a Comment